Total Solar Eclipse

Premium userAvatar

B.A.Pilot

Monday, August 21, 2017, is the day of the first total solar eclipse since February26, 1979 on planet earth. The United States will have viewing of this astrological event from the Atlantic Coast of South Carolina to the Pacific Coast of Oregon throughout the day. Carbondale, Illinois is supposed to have the longest lasting view of the total solar eclipse of 2 minutes 41.6 seconds at 1:20 p.m. U.S. Central Daylight Time. Here are other total solar eclipse locations with information;

Clingmans Dome, North Carolina @ 2:35 p.m. U.S. Eastern Daylight Time duration: 1:17 (South of Gatlinburg, TN Airport KGKT )
Columbia, South Carolina @ 2:43 p.m. U.S. EDT duration: 2:30 Airport: KCAE, KCUB
St. Joseph, Missouri @ 1:06 p.m. U.S. Central Daylight Time duration: 2:39 Airport: KSTJ
Carbondale, Illinois @ 1:20 p.m. U.S. CDT duration: 2:41.6 Airport: KMDH
Hopkinsville, Kentucky 1:24 p.m. U.S. CDT duration: 2:41.2 Airport KHVC
Nashville, Tennessee @ 1:27 p.m. U.S. CDT duration 1:57 Airport: KBNA, KMQY
Victor, Idaho @ 11:33 p.m. U.S. Mountain Daylight Time duration 2:18 Airport: U59, KJAC
Casper, Wyoming @ 11:42 p.m. U.S. MDT duration 2:26 Airport: KCPR
North Platte, Nebraska @ 11:49 p.m. U.S. MDT duration 2:30 Airport: KLBF
Madras, Oregon @ 10:19 p.m. U.S. Pacific Daylight Time duration 2:04 Airport: S33

The U.S. Daylight Saving Time is still in effect making U.S. EDT = -4:00UTC/GMT
U.S. CDT = -5:00UTC/GMT
U.S. MDT = -6:00UTC/GMT
U.S. PDT = -7:00UTC/GMT

*Source: https://weather.com/science/space/news/best-places-view-great-american-total-solar-eclipse

Will Microsoft Flight Simulator X/FSX Steam portray this event? If so, I would like to see the FSX pictures posted here by FSLive members to show what the eclipse looked like on their flight simulator. Any real life images of this eclipse would also be appreciated.

*Note: Please take proper precautions to all humans that may take real view of this total solar eclipse or partial eclipse and wear ISO certified eye wear. Unprotected constant direct view during any form of any eclipse may cause permanent eye damage.

Premium userAvatar

B.A.Pilot

I just ran an FSX artificial time and date model from Carbondale, IL - KMDH with the August 21, 2017 1:18 p.m.-1:24 p.m. U.S. CDT and FSX maintained a full sun view throughout the time period. I also ran current "real-world weather" for the same artificial time period without any change leaving full a full view of the sun. Therefore, Microsoft never programmed the total solar eclipse into FSX.

I will run "real-world weather" at the actual time period later today in Microsoft FSX to see if there is any difference between "user-defined time and season" and "current time and season" settings.

Premium userAvatar

B.A.Pilot

There was no total solar eclipse viewed by me on Microsoft FSX SP2. I used real time and weather in several states at the correct total solar eclipse time period and had full view of the sun without moon obstruction as on any normal day.

I appreciate all of the real world features that Microsoft portrays in FSX and was curious to see if the programmers had the 2017 total solar eclipse as a feature.

Last edited: 11:01 - 22nd August 2017